Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Next Year is Our Year"

New York Jets fans are all too familiar with this phrase. Now it pertains to Syracuse basketball. After losing top scorer Eric Devendorf and sharp shooter Andy Rautins to ACL injuries, the young Orange put together an admirable season, but fell short of their dreams to reach the NCAA Tournament with yesterday's Big East Tournament Opening Round loss to the Wildcats of Villanova. With a healthy Devo and Andy combined with the probable returns of Freshman sensations Donte' Greene and Jonny Flynn, Syracuse looks to be a major force in 2008-09.

The Cuse has also added the handsome devil in the photo above, the 6'6" Peekskill, NY small forward Mookie Jones. Expected to compete for a starting spot, The "Mook Man" explained in a recent interview with the AP that, "I'm like an X factor because I look and smell like a homeless person. When I step on the court, opponents are so disgusted by my look and smell, nobody wants to body up and defend me. I mean, Scout.com described me as looking like Shawn Marion. Eeeeek! Get outta my way, fool." Jones is a product of the same high school as NBA Injured List Extroadinaire Elton Brand. The Orange have also locked up current high school seniors Kris Joseph from DC (orginally from Can-a-da!) and James Southerland out of Fitchburg, MA. Should all players return from this season, expect Syracuse to be in the Top 10 in analysts' pre-season rankings.

No comments: